Monday 21 September 2009

URLs for research so far...

For my research project for the music industry, I have been looking into the ways in which women are represented and stereotyped. I have been looking on some websites to try and find more information, and my next step will be to relate it to genre.

Key articles I have found so far:
http://www.thefword.org.uk/search?search=the+music+industry

This gives me 68 articles related to feminism and the music industry from the website 'The F Word' which is a feminist website that posts articles related to the representation and stereotyping of women.

One of the articles has really caught my eye. Entitled "What's up, baby?” the article is written by a woman who is deeply disheartened by the way in which women, particularly black women, are represented. She explains that she has worked as a model and a sex worker, and believes that her race and culture are represented as women in bikinis and sexy outfits for people like Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2002/10/whats_up_baby

This aids the answer to my question, ‘To what extent is the way women are represented in the music industry genre specific?’, by referencing the work of RnB artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment